By Zachary Cohen and Ryan Nobles, CNN
The Department of Justice, in addition to the January 6 committee, is in possession of hours of raw footage from a documentary film crew that followed Enriquo Tarrio, leader of the Proud Boys the day before the US Capitol riot, before Tarrio left Washington by court order, according to a source familiar with the matter.
The Goldcrest Films International team also released hours of footage from January 6, 2021, including videos from inside the Capitol, the source said.
According to the source, the team picked up Tarrio from a DC jail the day before the riot and filmed all of his activities that day, including a walk around the Capitol and a chance encounter. with Stewart Rhodes, the leader of the Oath Keepers, who faces federal charges, where the couple spoke briefly. This video was the only encounter between members of the two groups that the filmmakers captured.
The select committee has begun reviewing the Goldcrest footage as part of its in-depth investigation into the Capitol riot, two sources familiar with the investigation told CNN. Politico was the first to report that the committee had obtained the footage and started reviewing it.
The select committee declined to comment to CNN.
On Monday, prosecutors revealed a new detail about a meeting Tarrio had with Rhodes and others at a car park in washington on January 5, 2021.
While in the garage, Tarrio allegedly told a person he had deleted all messages on his phone – a fact the Justice Department used this week to successfully argue that he should stay in prison while awaiting trial.
During the 30-minute meeting between Rhodes and Tarrio that day, “one participant made reference to the Capitol,” prosecutors said in their indictment last week against Tarrio and other Proud Boys leaders.
The source who saw the video said the footage did not reveal any planning or any type of conspiracy to storm the Capitol on January 6.
The footage was subpoenaed by the Department of Justice and has been in its possession for several months. It is unclear how long the select committee had access to the material. The film crew spent time tracking the Proud Boys through January 6, 2021, and are producing a documentary about the riot slated for release in the fall.
Goldcrest Films declined to comment on whether the Justice Department and House select committee obtained the video.
In addition to the documentary crew, freelance photographer Amy Harris was around some of the Proud Boys on January 6. She continued the committee to prevent him from accessing his phone logs, and this case is in its early stages.
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia company. All rights reserved.