Disney+ announced that the documentary film directed by Gillian Jacobs More than robots will premiere at the famed SXSW (South by Southwest) film festival on March 14, followed by a release on Disney+ on Friday, March 18.
What is happening:
- More than robots is an original documentary presented by Supper Club and Disney+, produced in partnership with FIRST.
- The documentary follows four teams of teenagers from around the world as they prepare for the FIRST 2020 robotics competition. Get to know the teams from Los Angeles, Mexico City and Chiba, Japan as they work towards the goal of bring their unique designs to the highly competitive world championships. Although they face challenges to overcome along the way, such as having limited resources within their community or putting everything on hold due to a global pandemic, the children persevere and learn that there are many more in the competition than simple robots.
- More than robots is directed by Gillian Jacobs in her first feature documentary. Award-winning Supper Club founders Jason Sterman, Brian McGinn and David Gelb serve as producers. Lucasfilm’s Michael Garcia and Christine Beebe are executive producers, with Jacqui Lopez serving as co-executive producer.
- Following the film’s premiere at the SXSW Film Festival on March 14, More than robots will be available to stream on Disney+ starting Friday, March 18.
- Disney+ has released the first trailer for the film, which you can see below:
- For more than 20 years, Disney has supported FIRST with financial, in-kind and mentorship resources, and with the Lucasfilm Philanthropy Initiative star wars: Force for Change, FIRST continues to provide hands-on learning and mentorship opportunities to more young people around the world, empowering them to not only dream big, but also develop the skills to become the next generation of innovators. .